Wed, 23 Aug|
St Mary's Cathedral
Festival Lunchtime Recital - George Coghill and Gina Baker
A free lunchtime recital series running throughout August at St Mary's. Today's is given by George Coghill (baritone) and Gina Baker (piano).
Time & Location
23 Aug, 13:00 – 13:45
St Mary's Cathedral , Palmerston Pl, Edinburgh EH12 5AW, UK
Free lunchtime recitals every day from 1st to 31st August, except Sundays and 16th. An opportunity to hear emerging and established artists performing in a wide variety of styles, genres, and instruments. This long-running series is undoubtedly one of the hidden gems of the Fringe.
Baritone and piano | George Coghill and Gina Baker
- For behold Darkness shall cover the earth / The people that walked in Darkness - Messiah (Handel)
- Madamina il catalogo e questo - Don Giovani (Mozart)
- Vecchia zimmara - La Boheme (Pucinni)
- Toreador song - Carmen (Bizet)
- Silent worship - (Handel/ Somervell)
- Stranger in paradise - Kismet (Forrest/Borodin)
- On the street where you live - My Fair Lady (Lerner & Lowe)
- Man of La Mancha - Man of La Mancha (Darion & Leigh)
- Hely-Hutchinson’s Homage to Handel (Hely-Hutchinson)
- Simple Song - Mass (Bernstein)
- Caro mio Ben - (Giordani)
- Dem Roten Roslein - (Burns/ Schumann)
- My love is like a red red Rose - (Burns/Anon)
- The Salley Garden - (Yeats/ arr: Britten)
- The Vagabond - (Stevenson/ Vaughn Williams)
- I heard the voice of Jesus say - (Bonar/ Trad, arr: Vaughn Williams)
- Scots, wha hae (Burns/ Anon)
George M. Coghill grew up in the Highlands and has worked in academic institutions around the UK. He has had an on/ off relationship with singing throughout his life; but he took it up more seriously in his fifties and obtained a Licentiate Diploma from Trinity College London in 2014. While living in Aberdeen he trained with Raimund Herincz, Alan Watt and Ruth Black at the North East Scotland Music School and latterly with Kate Hughes. Since moving south a couple of years ago he has benefitted from lessons and masterclasses with Linda Ormiston and Donald Maxwell. He has given recitals in a number of venues in NE Scotland, and the central belt.
Gina Baker is based in Linlithgow and works as a performer, accompanist and piano teacher across Scotland and northern England. Gina is currently an accompanist for NYCOS national and regional choirs, having completed a Masters in Performance at RWCMD and the Continuing Education répétiteur course at RCS. She also performs regularly for organisations including Music in Hospitals & Care and the Scottish Brass Band Association.